Community envisioning workshop to preserve Lung Tsun Stone Bridge remnants The Civil Engineering and Development Department (CEDD) in collaboration with the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Planning Department will organise two Community Envisioning Workshops to gather views from the public on the preservation of the Lung Tsun Stone Bridge whose remnants were unearthed in the Kai Tak development area.
Built in 1873, the 200-metre-long Lung Tsun Stone Bridge was once the landing pier linking to the access road to the Kowloon Walled City main gate. At the landward end of the bridge was a two-storey pavilion, which was once used to greet Chinese imperial officials, thereby giving it the name, "Pavilion for Greeting Officials". The bridge has since been modified or repaired many times as the area developed. It was completely buried in 1942 during the Japanese occupation in the Second World War.
The two Community Envisioning Workshops will be held at Lee Kau Yan Memorial School, 596 Prince Edward Road East, Kowloon, from 2pm to 5pm on June 19 and June 26. Site visits to the Lung Tsun Stone Bridge remnants will be arranged. Since the Lung Tsun Stone Bridge remnants are located within a work site, for safety reasons only participants aged 16 or above can join the site visit.
Members of the public can download the registration form from the website of the CEDD's Kai Tak Office (www.ktd.gov.hk). Completed forms should be returned seven days before each workshop either by fax or by mail (fax: 2369 4980; address: Kai Tak Office, CEDD, 7th Floor, Empire Centre, 68 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon). The quota for each workshop is 100 and will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Enquiries can be made on 3106 3432.
Ends/Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Issued at HKT 19:33