Contract awarded for Harbour Area Treatment Scheme Stage 2A (with photo)

The Drainage Services Department (DSD) today (November 3) awarded a $188.8 million contract for provision of covers and deodourisation facilities to the existing sedimentation tanks at Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works (SCISTW).

Speaking after the contract signing ceremony, the Assistant Director(Sewage Services) of DSD, Mr Shiu Wing-yu, said the department had, in recent years, implemented a series of mitigation measures at SCISTW to reduce odour nuisances from the plant.

"The addition of covers to the sedimentation tanks will further remove a potential odour source at SCISTW and will provide long-term improvement to the air quality of its neighbouring areas," he said.  

The contract is the fifth works contract awarded under the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme Stage 2A.  It comprises the supply and installation of approximately 25,000 square metres of fibre reinforced plastic covers to the existing sedimentation tanks, and two deodourisation plants (using biotrickling filter technology) at SCISTW. 

HATS is a major sewerage infrastructure project in Hong Kong to improve the water quality of Victoria Harbour.  The commissioning of HATS Stage 1 in late 2001 has provided proper treatment to about 75% of the sewage discharged into Victoria Harbour, and has significantly improved the water quality in the eastern and central parts of the harbour.  HATS Stage 2A will collect the remaining 25% of the sewage generated from northern and southwestern parts of Hong Kong Island, and involves the construction of another 21 km of tunnels, and expansion and upgrading of the SCISTW facilities and related preliminary treatment plants on Hong Kong Island.

The contract is scheduled for completion in late 2012 while the whole of HATS Stage 2A is targeted for commissioning at the end of 2014.

Ends/Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Issued at HKT 16:35


The Assistant Director (Sewage Services) of Drainage Services, Mr Shiu Wing-yu, (second right), attends a contract signing ceremony on Harbour Area Treatment Scheme Stage 2A today (November 3).