An exhibition entitled "Heritage Over a Century: Tung Wah Museum and Heritage Conservation", featuring more than 70 artefacts from the Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (TWGHs), will open tomorrow (May 29) at the Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre.
TWGHs has been offering a range of medical, educational, community, traditional and cultural services since its foundation. For celebrating its centenary in 1970, TWGHs converted the old main hall of Kwong Wah Hospital into the Tung Wah Museum for conserving and passing on the Tung Wah's institutional heritage. This year marks not only the 150th anniversary of the founding of the TWGHs, but also the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Tung Wah Museum and the 10th anniversary of it being declared a monument. This is an opportunity to share with the public the history and architectural merits of the Tung Wah Museum, as well as the work of the TWGHs in the conservation of built heritage and relics through the exhibition.
Highlight exhibits include a plaque hung at the main entrance of the main building of Kwong Wah Hospital since 1911, couplets presented by the first Chairman of Kwong Wah Hospital, hooks and holders used to fix the couplets, the register of the hospital, a bronze bell cast in 1847 for commemorating the completion of Man Mo Temple and the five offering containers that have been at the main hall of Kwong Wah Hospital since 1911.
Organised by the Antiquities and Monuments Office (AMO) and the Tung Wah Museum, the free exhibition runs until September 23. Details are available on the AMO's website (www.amo.gov.hk/en/whatsnew_20200511.php) or by calling 2208 4400.
The Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre is located in Kowloon Park, Haiphong Road, Tsim Sha Tsui.
Ends/Thursday, May 28, 2020
Issued at HKT 16:50