Disbursement of subsidies to construction industry under the second round of the Anti-epidemic Fund in progress

The Development Bureau (DEVB) announced today (May 18) that about $1.2 billion in subsidies has been disbursed to about 160 000 construction workers under the second round of the Anti-epidemic Fund (AEF). Together with the subsidies dispensed under the first round of the AEF, more than $1.7 billion in subsidies has been disbursed.

"Among some 210 000 workers who received the $1,500 subsidy under the first round of the AEF, about 80 per cent of them have received the one-off $7,500 subsidy automatically under the second round of the AEF. The remaining 20 per cent of workers shall also receive the subsidies within the coming days," a spokesman for the DEVB said.

"Under the second round of the AEF, besides registered construction workers under the Construction Workers Registration Ordinance (Cap. 583), workers registered with the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department, the Buildings Department, the Water Supplies Department and the Fire Services Department will also directly benefit from the one-off subsidy of $7,500. Eligible workers can now submit applications via the Construction Industry Council's (CIC) mobile application," the spokesman said.

Moreover, the Government will align the amount of the one-off subsidies offered to construction-related enterprises under the second round of the AEF at the higher level of $20,000 each, covering eligible contractors, specialist contractors, works contractors and suppliers, as well as eligible minor works contractors, registered contractors of electrical/gas/lift/escalator/fire service installation and suppliers of construction-related machineries and equipment rental. Relevant enterprises can submit applications through the CIC's online platform within May.

The DEVB is also processing the applications from consultant firms offering engineering/architectural and related professional services for training subsidy under the second round of the AEF. The disbursement of subsidies to the approved companies is in progress. 

The deadline for application for the various subsidies is August 31. Eligible companies or workers who have not yet submitted their applications may visit the CIC's dedicated website for details (http://www.cic.hk/eng/main/anti_epidemic_fund/).

For more details, please call the CIC hotline at 3199 7377 or e-mail PPEFund@cic.hk.

Ends/Monday, May 18, 2020
Issued at HKT 19:31