The French Mission Building was at one stage the residence of the Governor of Hong Kong between 1843 and 1846. In 1953, the Government purchased the building from the French Mission and turned it into offices for various government departments. The Building was the home of the Court of Final Appeal from 1997 to September 2015.
The building was constructed in 1917 in the neo-classical style and built of granite and red bricks. Because of its historical significance and a very high heritage value, the building was declared a monument under the Antiquities and Monuments Ordinance in 1989.
Upon relocation of the Court of Final Appeal to the Old Supreme Court Building at 8 Jackson Road, Central in September 2015, and after completion of the necessary procedures and renovation works, the space will be provided to law-related organisations to facilitate their setting up and developing services in Hong Kong.