Nomination deadline : 17 April 2023
Background and Categories of Award
- Since 1995, Development Bureau (DEVB) has been organizing the Considerate Contractors Site Award Scheme (the CCSAS) to promote a considerate attitude and good site safety, health and environmental practices for both Public Works and non-Public Works sites. Starting from 2011, the CCSAS is co-organised by DEVB and the Construction Industry Council (CIC).
The categories of award for Public Works and Non-Public Works sites under the 30th CCSAS are as follows –
- Considerate Contractors Site Awards (CCSA) for:
- New Works Contracts (further divided into Group A1 and Group B2 contracts for Non-Public Works sites);
- Repair, Maintenance, Alteration and Addition (RMAA) Works Contracts;
- Minor Renovation and Maintenance (MRM) Works Contracts (for Non-Public Works sites only);
- Outstanding Environmental Management and Performance Awards (OEMPA);
- Innovation Awards for Safety and Environmental Excellence (IASEE) for:
- New Works Contracts;
- Repair, Maintenance, Alteration and Addition (RMAA) Works Contracts;
- Model Worker Awards and the Best Model Worker Award;
- Model Frontline Supervisor Awards and the Best Model Frontline Supervisor Award;
- Model Project Leader Awards and the Best Model Project Leader Award;
- Model Subcontractor Awards; and
- Model Subcontractor Frontline Supervisor Awards and the Best Model Subcontractor Frontline Supervisor Award.
Participation in the OEMPA or IASEE is optional. Participants shall indicate whether they wish to be considered for these categories of awards.
The appraisal period of the 30th CCSAS will be between 1 April and 31 December 2023.
- Group A contracts are those developments associated with the public bodies such as Airport Authority, CLP Power Hong Kong Limited, Hong Kong Housing Authority, Hong Kong Housing Society, Hong Kong Jockey Club, Hospital Authority, MTR Corporation Limited, Hong Kong Electric Company Limited, Urban Renewal Authority, West Kowloon Cultural District Authority, etc., or non-works department of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
- Group B contracts are those other than Group A.
Nomination for Entries
Nomination for entries shall be on contract basis except for MRM Works which shall be on contractor basis. Main contractors of all construction sites in Hong Kong are welcome to join the 30th CCSAS.
For New Works, the nominated contracts shall have active construction works undertaken during the appraisal period (from 1 April to 31 December 2023). For RMAA Works, the construction period shall last for at least 6 months in the appraisal period. For MRM Works, the contractors shall be registered as “Registered Minor Works Contractors” or “Registered General Building Contractors” recognised by the Building Department, and each contractor can only submit one entry for a site involving no more than 10 workers and with active works within the appraisal period (no restriction on the duration of works).
The Guidelines and nomination forms for Public Works Site Participation and Non-Public Works Site Participation are available below, as well as Construction Safety Week website at https://www.safetyweek.hk.
Assessment of the site performance shall be conducted by the site representative of the client/employer, and representatives from the Works Departments, DEVB or CIC based on the following criteria -
Considerate Contractors Site Awards
Site safety performance including the effectiveness of the implementation of safety management system and accident statistics;
Complexity/Constraints of Site
Different aspects of site constraints (e.g. complicated site works involving multiple parties or the site is surrounded by noise sensitive receivers such as dense residential buildings or heavy traffic flow), encountered by contractors should be adequately reflected;
Site Management (including Tidiness and Hygiene)
Performance of site management including resources allocation, site organisation structure and establishment, competence of management and front line supervisory staff, effectiveness in the delivery of company policy and the effort to maintain the site in clean and tidy conditions;
Site environmental performance and environmental awareness including the effectiveness of nuisance abatement and waste management control measures and implementation of environmental management system;
Being Considerate to Neighbourhood and Passers-by
Performance including the cleanliness and tidiness around the site, the effort to mitigate nuisance and protect the environment, provisions to safeguard the public, e.g. hoardings, barriers, traffic cones, directional signs, lanterns etc.;
Care of Workers and Others
Performance including provision of sufficient welfare facilities to workers and care of utilities etc.; and
Adoption of Guidelines Issued by the Construction Industry Council (CIC)
Performance including the effective implementation of the Guidelines on Safety of Tower Cranes; Site Safety Measures for Working in Hot Weather; Safety of Site Vehicles and Mobile Plant; Administration Charges for Reporting of Site Accidents; Safety of Lift Shaft Works (Volumes 1, 2, 3 and 4); Handling Construction Work Injury and Fatal Accident Cases; Design, Installation & Maintenance of Cast-in Anchors at External Walls of New Buildings; Trip Ticket System for Disposal of Construction & Demolition Materials in Private Sector Works; Planking Arrangement for Providing Working Platforms on Bamboo Scaffolds; Fabrication of Reinforcement Cages of Bored Piles; Work-Above-Ground Safety; Safety Enhancement of and Notification Arrangement for Truss-out Bamboo Scaffolds; Statutory Requirements for Modular Integrated Construction Projects.
Outstanding Environmental Management and Performance Awards
- Environmental management effectiveness and performance, in particular the performance of the specific and “appropriate” measures and strategies on environmental nuisance abatement, green construction, green purchasing and waste management.
Innovation Awards for Safety and Environmental Excellence
- Creativity and Innovativeness of Safety and Environmental Strategies, Measures, Devices and Installations;
- Improvement to Safety and Environmental Performance;
- Ease of Adoption by the Construction Industry; and
- Cost Effectiveness.
Model Worker Awards and the Best Model Worker Award
If a contractor is granted a CCSA, OEMPA and/or IASEE, the contractor can nominate a worker for consideration of the Model Worker Award, who will also be eligible for selection for the Best Model Worker Award.
Model Frontline Supervisor Awards and the Best Model Frontline Supervisor Award
If a contractor is granted a CCSA, OEMPA and/or IASEE, the contractor can nominate a frontline supervisor for consideration of the Model Frontline Supervisor Award, who will also be eligible for selection for the Best Model Frontline Supervisor Award.
Model Project Leader Awards and the Best Project Leader Award
If a contractor is granted a CCSA, OEMPA and/or IASEE, the contractor can nominate a project leader for consideration of the Model Project Leader Award, who will also be eligible for selection for the Best Model Project Leader Award.
Model Subcontractor Awards
If a contractor is granted a CCSA, OEMPA and/or IASEE, the contractor can nominate a subcontractor for consideration of the Model Subcontractor Award. The nominated subcontractor must have carried out active construction works with sufficient duration to demonstrate its outstanding site safety and environmental performance during the appraisal period.
Model Subcontractor Frontline Supervisor Awards and the Best Model Subcontractor Frontline Supervisor Award
If a contractor is granted a CCSA, OEMPA and/or IASEE, the contractor can nominate a subcontractor frontline supervisor for consideration of the Model Subcontractor Frontline Supervisor Award, who will also be eligible for selection for the Best Model Subcontractor Frontline Supervisor Award.
Upon the expiry of the appraisal period, DEVB and CIC will form assessment panels to evaluate the performance of the entries.
An award ceremony will be organised by DEVB and CIC to present the awards to the winning entries.
For further enquiries, please contact Mr Joshua GUAN at 2594 7183 or at e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org .
Documents for downloading
Construction Industry Council